Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation
The Sanibel-Captive Conservation Foundation was founded in 1967 as a private, non-profit corporation for the purpose of acquiring land to save natural habitats on the barrier islands of Sanibel and Captiva. The SCCF currently has over 1500 acres protected either by outright purchase or by holding conservation easements. In addition to its land protection activities, Foundation facilities include a nature center and museum with exhibits, lecture room, offices and gift shop, many miles of walking trails. There is also a retail sales area, butterfly house, native plant nursery, a lab area for use by visiting researchers, and a housing area for interns and staff. SCCF has a staff of ten under the direction of Eric Linblad as well as a cadre of active volunteers.
In 1998 the foundation and the CLT made a joint purchase of 200-acre York Island located at the south end of Pine Island. The two organizations have recently cooperated to purchase 230 acres of pristine mangrove forest and several upland sites known as Long Cut Preserve. These areas are nursery grounds for shrimp, crabs, and many species of fish, as our boating friends will attest.